There are many things to consider when your home needs a new roof. It is essential to educate yourself on the key elements of roofing to ensure that the work is done correctly and safely and within your budget. There are many products on the market that can significantly increase the price of your roof however not all these products are mandatory or essential for proper roof performance. Your roof assessor will be able to guide you in regards to which products are necessary to assure you of a good quality roof for which we can then confidently give you our installation warranty on.
FACTORS THAT COULD AFFECT YOUR QUOTE:
The angle of the roof (roof pitch):
The steeper the roof pitch, the more difficult it is to work on the roof, therefore, labour cost increases in proportion to the angle. The angle of the roof is calculated by the number of inches it rises vertically for every 12 inches it extends horizontally also known as a rise over run. For example, a roof that rises 7 inches for every 12 inches horizontally would be called a 7/12 pitch or slope.
Layers of existing shingles
Roofs can range from one layer to sometimes three or four on older homes. The type of roofing materials previously installed on your home can also affect the cost dramatically. For example, cedar shakes; slate, metal etc. Labour rates can also be affected by the type of wood decking your roof was constructed with. For example, plywood, particle board, planks etc.
MATERIALS THAT CAN BE INSTALLED ON YOUR ROOF:
- The most cost efficient and popular type of material to be installed on the roof is your Architectural Asphalt Shingles. They come in a variety of different textures ranging from your regular three-dimensional standard shingle to designer shingles that are available at a higher price point.
- Second type of roofing that can be installed on your house is a complete new metal roofing system, which is far superior in performance and durability, however, comes at a much higher price point.
- The third type of material that could be installed on your roof are cedar shake wood roofing, which is highly desirable for older custom homes however, the performance and longevity is not as good as a to previously stated products.
- The fourth and new type of roofing systems that are not available are synthetic plastic rubberized roofing materials. They come in a wide variety of different textures and price points. They are gaining in popularity over the last few years because of their performance and high residual value.
- A fifth type of material is slate roofing, which is actual textured stones that are installed on your roofing structure. this type of material is of Hydro ability and of extreme weight. It is the most expensive type of roofing available in the industry.
- Lastly, a flat roofing material. flat roofing systems can be installed in a variety of different styles and or technique. The most popular is a rubberized to ply flat roofing system adhered by either cold application and or heat applied with torches. Also, a flat roof can be covered by TPO and EPDM roofing systems, which are different in nature but perform extremely well as well.
THERE ARE THREE TYPES OF UNDERLAYMENT:
Ice and water shield
Ice and water shield, is a peel and stick rubberized membrane that is adhere to the perimeter of the roof and critical areas to prevent snow and ice penetration into the home.
Synthetic underlayment, is a product that covers the remainder of the roof to ensure maximum protection against the elements. If your roofing system was to be compromised.
Old-school tarpaper, is falling out a fever over the past years and has been replaced by synthetic underlayment. Tarpaper underlayment art not as good because they absorb water and can deteriorate over periods of time and rot out your wood below.
Ventilation in a home is a vote most important to have it perform well and extend the longevity of your roofing system and prevent mould growth, etc. A proper ventilation system will be designed by your roofing estimator in accordance to the building codes of Ontario. It is important to have it a 50-50 percent airflow divided between the soffit ventilation and the rooftop exit vents. By having this balance in airflow in the home, you will prevent ice buildup around the perimeter of your home, condensation inside your attic, and also prevent mould growth which can spread and cause major health issues if it spreads into your house . rooftop ventilation can be achieved either by static vents motorized and or mechanical vents or lastly, solar powered ventilation. Every ventilation system should be appropriately discussed and or designed for your home in accordance to its structure and design. Many options are available from low cost very expensive.
Monday-Friday: 7:00 AM - 7:00 PM
Saturday: 7:00 AM - 3:00 PM
94A Kenhar Dr # 7 Toronto and certain areas GTA, Ontario M9L 1N2